My School

My School

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Unexpected

On Wednesday, after a six and a half hour flight and a five hour bus ride, I wasn't expecting much when I went to meet my host family. But, in my opinion, I have the best famille d'accueil in all of SYA. Besides my host mom, I have five siblings, two boys and three girls, and their ten cousins live right down the street! It's a huge family, but they're some of the kindest people I've ever met. Besides welcoming me into their home, they always make sure that I can understand what they're saying. When they're talking to me, I understand about 90% of what's going one, although whether or not I can respond is another story.
Thursday was all about rules and meeting the teachers, which isn't the most interesting subject considering that everyone was really jet-lagged. Friday wasn't much better, what with all the placement testing, but once it was over, all the SYA kids were looking forward to their first weekend in Rennes.
Saturday was mostly comprised of reading, playing cards, and putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle. But Sunday was much better. My entire host family drove four hours south of Rennes to visit my host brother, Raphael, who is studying to be a priest. A car ride is pretty boring, so instead they dropped me off at their aunt's house. She has ten kids, three boys and seven girls. By 9:00, they were all up and ready to go to Mass. They go to the most beautiful church called "L'Eglise de Jean d'Arc". It has stain glass windows, an enormous bell tower, and is made of stone. While, I haven't been to church in a while, it was great to see it conducted in French, and to see how in two different countries, the Catholic practice stays the same.
After Mass, we went back to their house to make lunch. Imagine making crêpes for thirteen people, where each person eats at least three. There are many kinds of crêpes, and you can pretty much put anything in them, but there are two main categories: savory and sweet. A crêpe that has cheese, ham and an egg is called un complet because it can suffice as a complete meal. There's also crêpes that can have lemon, butter, sugar, or nutella. The great thing about crêpes is that there are so many different kinds that it's easy to make something that everyone likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment